Friday, May 27, 2011

Up Nextttt

So, I've actually been home for a few weeks, and have had no travels to tell you about...and I've probably seen you in person since I was home for so long, so I'm sure you weren't checking this as often. But now...I'm jetsetting again. A la neyo: jet setter, go getter, nothin better. I'm currently in New York in search of my new home, and I think I've found it: a generously sized hardwood studio...but not just a dinky studio...it's actually big enough to make into a one-bedroom, which I intend to do, obvi. Floors are newly polished, windows let in a ton of light (the view is limited to a parking lot, but it's not Manhattan, so I was kinda stuck), and I get a huge walk-in closet. Excellent. And, it's only 37mins away from Manhattan by train. Super.

Spent my last weekend in the bay exploring the Portola Redwoods--pretty incredible. And the drive's not bad, either...just make sure you don't eat too much beforehand if you plan to sit in the backseat. There are some good 12-milers, but we didn't have time for that since we started around 3pm or so. Still plenty of redwood and sunlight. There aren't any steep uphills, so I wouldn't head here for a workout. The banana slugs (yes, they're real animals) are pretty cool finds, though. Definitely worth a look...especially when Half Dome's still unroped. One day, I'll make it back to the bay to do that. 

So tomorrow, I sign the lease to this place and after a night out in NYC with some old friends (some that I've seen recently, and some I haven't seen in years), I'm headed to Kenyaaaa. So excited. It'll be my first time in Africa, and hopefully not my last. Don't have any fixed plans yet (don't freak out) but playing it by ear has sorta worked for me in the past. First, I'll find my homeboy's taxi dude at midnight in the airport...then I'll spend the day getting myself oriented in Nairobi and outfitted with a working Kenyan phone, etc, while homeboy's at work...then apparently we're going out (during which karaoke will be happening. uh oh) because it's a Kenyan holiday the next day. Beyond that...no idea. Roughly on the books for the three and a half weeks: safari (giraffes, hippos, lions, oh yes!), Mombasa, Diani & Tiwi, Lamu (all beach towns, including the latter which is an island that sounds pretty romantic--my fave kinds), and I was thinking of Malindi, but someone tells me people have been stabbed there. Super. Too bad I'm not traveling with a body guard. So, I'll keep you posted, if I have internet! So pumped. Wish you all could come with me!
xo

1 comment: