Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chiang Mai Nightlife

300-some steps to the top
 So I ventured out into Chiang Mai after my little tiger adventure, found myself that coffee shop where I tapped out the last post...then made my way up to Wat Suthep, the temple on top of a hill overlooking all of Chiang Mai. The most striking bit about this temple would be the golden chedi, so geometric in design, and the 300-some stairs it takes to get up to the temple. There's an elevator, too, but I've been missing out on way too much cardio so I opted for the stairs...while checking out the inside of the "Buddha Room," I found myself amongst a group just then being blessed by a monk. Splashes of water hit my head and face from the wooden sticks he was using--at the end, he gave me a little bracelet for good luck. Apparently I'm supposed to wear for at least 3, if not 6, days. Neat little memory, so I may just keep it on. Can never have too much luck, right?
pretty cool guitar

Reminded me of Janelle
Met with a guy from Shan Health Committee, an active NGO working along this border here. Stimulating conversation, once again. I really need to go over my notes--they're getting a little out of control. After my meeting, I decided to check out the Saturday Night Market, on Saturday Walking Street (there's a Sunday one, too). Left my Lonely Planet in the hotel, but didn't feel like grabbing it so I decided to wing it. Walked out of my hotel, swung a left, and found myself in the red light district. Tiny bars lined up next to each other with neon signs displaying such classy names as "Juicy," "Cherry Pop," and "Why Not," facing other bars, some with pool tables, disco lights, and scantily clad girls sitting around like "Sassy," "Voom Lounge," and "Pleasure Place," (no--I am not making these up). Pretty funny. (On the way back, these little bars were much rowdier, and I had to mean mug it and speed walk down that stretch because someone said, "Pretty girl like you shouldn't be walking around alone. Do you need boyfriend tonight?" Ew. Gross. Found myself at a Muay Thai Boxing Ring in the middle of this mini city of sin...I couldn't watch for very long because the bloody faces were making me uncomfortable.) Anyway, there are these red pickup trucks all over town...I never really know where they're going or if they even have a route, but people seemed to be getting on and off as they pleased. So, after walking several blocks in the general direction of Saturday Walking Street, I crossed into one of the lanes where I saw a red pickup with open seats and hopped in, just as the driver hit the accelerator. Wasn't really sure if I was going the right way, but I figured, worst case, I'll get off and grab a tuk tuk. After a few minutes, we hit an intersection teeming with motorcycles, tuk tuks, and people. This had to be it...and if not, well it was another market that had lots of crafty things and street vendors--all I needed for dinner and "window" shopping. It was pretty cool, but packed. I managed to try enough things from different vendors to make up a decent dinner, and picked up some amusing souvenirs for the homies back home. Next time, I'll have to remember to pack less--I always end up with too much crap.













Sitting at the Bangkok Airways airport lounge right now-- swanky. The food's not great, but it's for times like these that I have balance bars. The free wifi is appreciated, too. Thailand's been pretty easy in terms of wifi, with plenty of coffee shops and such. I'd love to come back to see more of the country, especially the deep south--the beaches look incredible. Getting on this flight puts me one flight closer to the one eventually landing in SFO. Can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment