Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Censored Internet = More Delayed Posts

Gmail is on the naughty list according to the Burmese government. So is my blog. Heh.
Despite censored internet, Burma is gorgeous. Yangon's a lot like an Asian Guatemala City except that the cortes are longyis and men wear them too, Burmese is spoken instead of Spanish, and the barefoot include not only the pitiable poor but also the revered monks, dressed in deep saffron robes. The sidewalks are crumbly, the street signs and demarcations are more suggestions than rules, and the aromas of the street vendors beckons the taste buds of the brave—or dumb, some might argue.

Spent New Years Eve at Sedona Hotel. Lots of rich Burmese people drinking bottles of Johnnie Walker. It was cool to spend new years in a different country, but for some reason I feel like Gladiator 2011, complete with scene reenactments, Viking and denim fashion shows set to neyo and lady gaga, and a scantily clad Philipino cover band, doesn’t quite represent traditional Burmese celebrations. We were lucky, apparently, to be in the presence of Burma’s most popular band, Iron Cross. Interesting stuff. There was also a martial arts team that performed their stuff, with traditional Burmese music in the background. Really jarring, cacophonous music. I have to admit though, watching a whole mess of drunk Asians is ridiculously amusing. I did really miss celebrating with my homies. Every year I’ve been surrounded by friends, which made sitting in the middle of a room full of strangers a little lonely. Three traditions I missed, aside from hangin with the homies, were watching the ball drop, poppin champagne, and the lucky midnight kiss. Pretty underwhelming NYE over all, but an interesting change of pace.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011—Yangon bus station, 9am
couldn't get more than a few swallows down. too wormy looking
with various relatives


adorable, doing their rounds
It’s been an interesting and exhausting couple of days. Food is constantly being shoved in my face, this aunt or that aunt is pulling or pushing me in one direction or other, everybody’s speaking a language I don’t understand. But we’ve seen some cool things, Shwedagon Pagoda being the most impressive. I wanted to get it right at sunset with the gold and red rays hitting the real gold plating of the biggest dome. We were, as usual, delayed by the large family entourage. Anyway, we didn’t make it in time for the perfect lighting, but we still got some pretty amazing pics of the shining gold against the dark night sky. Stunning.




Saw another paya, sitting in the middle of the Irrawady River. Took a boat to get out there. I'll get pics up on the next post. Strapped for time...have a meeting at this clinic on the border. At that paya though, we kicked it with some kids to whom I had given some money and chocolate. They prayed for me to be an actress because I was "so pretty," and a lady doctor (per my aunt's suggestion)…one more boy finished with the prayer that I marry a rich actor husband. Ha. I'll get their pics up on the next one, too.

So this border town is supposed to be a little dangerous...if you get too close to the border, you can risk getting shot by Burmese child soldiers (who the ppl at UNICEF claim don't exist, but they lied to me). Best get my bulletproof vest on.

Thank you for all the birthday love, too. The texts (including the mysterious 617 east coast text...who are you again?) were much appreciated, as were the emails, with birthday pics and without. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment