Monday, July 2, 2012

Pura Vida

Despite the last post, it turns out I've had plenty of opportunity to travel since April. I made it to Costa Rica twice in April and May, and am currently in the Dominican Republic working on research project.

In CR, I had ambitious plans for my last-minute trip, to make it to both the Caribbean and Pacific coasts. I walked up to the beach in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca on the Caribbean coast, and never left. When it came time to leave, I almost didn't leave, being so enraptured by this place. It was absolutely gorgeous. It gave me an opportunity to step out of the crazy responsibility-laden life I normally lead, and to simply live in the moment, on a beach with some great people. I could go on forever about how much I love CR, but it might turn into rambling. I went the second time with the man friend, which was equally enjoyable in a very different way. It doesn't quite exude the romance of Kenya, but the beaches stretch for miles, the beer's served up cold, and the people are lovely. The water is incredibly warm at all times, perfect for those of us who like a little night-time swim every now and again.

The coconut rice on this coast is tannnn rico. If you ever find yourself in Puerto Viejo, might I suggest staying at either Cabinas Larry or El Dorado...they're both great little hostels, the first at $12/person/night in a private room, the second $10/person in a more hostel type setting. Both have free wifi, though it's relatively easy to come across wifi in this awesome little beach town.

Ben and I also rented bikes for less than $10/day and biked down the coast, stopping at different beaches along the way. It's a great way to get around and check out the nearby playas. The next time I get down there, I'm hoping to get down to the Panama border, as well as the other coast. I'd love to talk more about it if you're interested mes amis, but don't want to bore y'all with details. So as always, email me if you want to hear more!











No comments:

Post a Comment